Monday, January 23, 2012

Ok, so you've just been diagnosed with cancer

Hi, sorry you or anybody you know needs to read this blog. But if you need to read the following, I hope it is practically useful to you.

When I was diagnosed with cancer six and a half years ago, it felt like my life was just about to end and that should I live any more time at all, I would never again have a normal day, one that was not completely consumed by the concept of cancer. But, here I am, alive and kicking. In the journey to this day I learned a LOT of things I wish I knew then, at the beginning of being diagnosed. It would have helped me, and the one friend who stood by me then, if there were some sort of guide to help me get through the first month, when my mind seemed to shut down in the shock of it.

So my intention here is to offer anyone else, in New York or otherwise, some practical tips about what helped me. I did put New York City in the title of this blog because some tips are specifically NYC related and useful only here, names, thoughts and opinions about specific doctors, hospitals and other things in the city.

  • coping with a cancer diagnosis
  • making treatment-related decisions
  • quality of life during and after cancer
  • advocating for your needs
  • navigating the medical system

No comments:

Post a Comment